Authorized travel should be made via the most economical mode of transportation, consistent with the purpose of the travel. A careful analysis of the distance, timeliness, and overall cost factors of a trip should be considered.
Statewide Vehicle Rental Contracts
A rental vehicle may be used when it is necessary and convenient in the performance of an employee's official duties.
Rental vehicles will not be authorized routinely for the execution of official duties involving high volume travel for which transportation by a personally owned or institutionally owned vehicle would be more appropriate. Employees must pay for rental cars at time of rental and seek reimbursement via the TechWorks Employee Travel & Reimbursement System.
Authorization to rent a vehicle must be granted prior to travel via the TechWorks T&E System.
Hertz is under mandatory contract for rental car within the State of Georgia, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, and all out of state airports. The contract rental rates include collision & damage waiver (CDW) coverage at no additional cost..
Enterprise Rental Car is under mandatory contract for rental car within the State of Georgia only. The contract rental rates include collision & damage waiver (CDW) coverage at no additional cost.
Account Info: Hertz (CDP#: 2018737), Enterprise (CDP#: 03W1179). Travelers must quote the state contract number in order to receive the collision and liability insurance coverage.
Personal accident and effects insurance on rental vehicles is not reimbursable (PAI, PEP, PEI).
Collision and liability insurance costs are reimbursable (CDW, LCW), if not using one of the mandatory state contracts). Supplemental liability insurance is not reimbursable (SLI, LIS).
The Hertz and Enterprise Car Rental contracts provide for domestic collision and liability insurance in contracted rates at no additional cost, when the contract ID is included in the Rental Agreement. The contract ID must be quoted at the time of reservation in order to receive the CDW and LDW at no additional cost.
- When traveling internationally, all rental car insurance offered should be purchased. These expenses are fully reimbursable via the TechWorks T&E System.
- Rental of luxury vehicles is not permitted.
- When employees share a rental vehicle, that information should be indicated in the TechWorks T&E System with the name of the travelers with whom the vehicle was shared.
In addition to rental fees, an employee may be reimbursed for costs associated with official use of the vehicle. These costs include:
- Gasoline - Original receipts must be submitted.
- Additional Drivers - This is reimbursable only if the additional driver is on travel status with the Institute.
- Navigation Systems - Reimbursable if required for remote locations and a business justification is provided.
- Tolls - Actual toll expenses may be reimbursed. A receipt should be provided when possible; if not, a written explanation should be entered into the description field in the TechWorks T&E System.
- Parking - Actual parking fees may be reimbursed. A receipt should be provided when possible; if not, a written explanation should be entered into the description field in the TechWorks T&E System.
Child seats and other personal expenses are not reimbursable.