The performance of each academic School Chair will be reviewed annually by the responsible Dean. In addition, a comprehensive formal review must be completed around the end of every fifth year of appointment. The purpose of such a comprehensive review is to evaluate the progress of the School under the Chair’s leadership, to provide the opportunity for constructive input from Faculty and other constituencies, and to review the professional contributions and performance of the Chair as a “leader” and an “administrator.”
Ultimately, the purpose of such comprehensive reviews is to determine whether the Chair should be reappointed for another term. A second five (5) year appointment has been typical whereas a third five (5) year appointment is unusual. Nevertheless the reappointment decision will be based on the best interests of the Institute, College, School and individual.
It is recognized that all administrators, including the unit Chairs serve at the will of their immediate supervisors and higher administrators. Nothing in this review process is meant to limit the ability and responsibility of higher administrators to make changes in leadership positions whenever it is deemed necessary or desirable.
Criteria and Procedures
A review committee is appointed by the Dean of the College as follows:
- The Committee will consist of no fewer than five (5) members.
- A majority of the Committee members shall be chosen from tenured, non-administrative Faculty members in the unit.
- The Committee Chair shall be chosen by the Dean in consultation with the School’s Faculty Advisory Committee.
- The Committee will normally be chaired by a senior Faculty member.
- The Committee Chair is normally from a different academic unit in the College.
- The School Chair has the opportunity to comment on the composition of the Committee.
Establishment of Criteria to be Used in Reviews
The review criteria are to be defined by the Dean and the candidate prior to initial appointment or the Dean and the Chair prior to reappointment. As part of the Dean’s annual review of the Chair, the criteria may be reaffirmed or modified in consultation with the Chair of the School. As part of the Dean’s charge to the review committee, the Dean will review the evaluation criteria established at the beginning of the Chair’s current term, as well as any changes made since that time. Specific responsibilities of school chairs that fall within these general criteria and must be included in the review are posted on the Faculty Developments website.
- Demonstrating evidence of commitment to the highest standards of quality in teaching, scholarship/research, academic development with evidence of the School’s actual progress on all three (3).
- Providing effective management of internal affairs of the School.
- Recruiting/retaining the highest quality Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Managing the School’s fiscal affairs.
- Developing/maintaining open communications with all constituencies.
- Facilitating goal setting by individuals, programs, and by the Unit as a whole.
- Identifying issues and resolving conflicts affecting the Unit.
- Developing internal and external resources.
- Implementing fair and equitable performance evaluations and salary adjustments.
- Establishing a working environment conducive to achieving individual and unit goals, as well as balancing and reconciling diverse interests with the unit.
- Building relationships with constituencies within and outside of Georgia Tech.
The Dean may schedule the review for any time between four (4) and six (6) years after either the initial appointment of the Chair or the preceding formal review. The review may be timed to coincide with the mandatory Board of Regents’ five (5) year Program Review. Utmost confidentiality must be maintained during the review process. The Dean will provide the Committee with confidentiality guidelines at their first meeting.
Early in the process, the Chair should be asked to meet with the review committee to provide a self-assessment. The Committee should seek input from Unit’s Faculty, Staff, and Students, and other constituencies. The Committee should identify areas where the Chair should place added emphasis/attention if he/she continues to lead the unit over the next five (5) years.
Conclusion of the Review
The Committee provides the Dean with a confidential, written report of no more than five (5) pages. The report shall include:
- Assessment of the School’s progress under the Chair’s leadership.
- Evaluation of the Chair’s performance as a leader and administrator.
- Recommendations for improvement (if any).
The Chair being reviewed will have the opportunity to comment on the report. The Dean will evaluate the report and make a decision regarding the reappointment of the Chair. The Dean will communicate results of the review both orally and in writing to the Chair. The Dean will inform the Review Committee of the reappointment decision.