To ensure consistency between policies and to increase clarity, new Institute policies are drafted using a standard Policy Template.
The Policy Template includes space for the following information:
- Reason for Policy → Why the policy exists
- Policy Statement → What is required, prohibited, or allowed
- Scope → To whom does the policy apply?
- Definitions → Terms specific to the policy
- Procedures → Links to relevant procedures associated with the policy
- Forms → Forms associated with procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions → a link to Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Responsibilities → What responsibilities exist for specific roles or offices in regard to policy compliance
- Enforcement → Potential repercussions for violating the policy
- Related Information → Related policies, websites, and documents that provide supplemental information to the policy
- Policy History → Brief description of any revisions to the policy
The Policy Template can be found here.
When reviewing a policy draft it is helpful for the Policy Steering Committee to have an Institute Policy Request Form that details:
- The reason for the policy
- Key aspects of the policy
- Stakeholders who reviewed the policy
- Resources needed for the policy
The Institute Policy Request Form can be found here.