Rentals inside the United States: Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) / Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) insurance is included when using a valid Statewide or Georgia Tech contracted rental car agreement, except for Trucks. The contract number ID must be included in the rental to issue coverage at no additional cost. When renting a truck, Collision Damage Waiver/ Loss Damage Waiver coverage should be purchased.
Please note: when renting a truck or any car outside of one of the Statewide or Georgia Tech rental car contract, you will need to purchase the optional Collision Damage Waiver/ Loss Damage Waiver. Rental cars should be reserved through Georgia Tech contracted travel agency to insure the proper contract number and coverage is included for rental.
Rentals outside the United States: All rental car insurance (collision and liability) offered by the rental company should be purchased. These expenses are fully reimbursable via Workday – Expenses System.
Personal Accident (PAI), Effects (PEP/PEI), and Supplement Liability (SLI, LIS) insurance are not reimbursable.
- Any deviations from initial reserved rental via Statewide or Georgia Tech rental car contract, Physical Damage Coverage for vehicle must be confirmed as included in rental. If not included, renter should always purchase and submit for reimbursement.
- When traveling internationally, all rental car insurance offered should be purchased. These expenses are fully reimbursable via the Workday- Travel System.
- In Europe, Africa and Australia CDW/ LDW is normally included as standard coverage with the vehicle rental. However, in other countries like Canada and USA the Loss Damage Waiver may have to be purchase separately.
- Rental of luxury vehicles is not permitted.
- When employees share a rental vehicle, that information should be indicated in Workday - Expense System with the name of the travelers with whom the vehicle was shared.
In addition to rental fees, an employee may be reimbursed for costs associated with official use of the vehicle. These costs include:
- Gasoline - Original receipts must be submitted.
- Additional Drivers - This is reimbursable only if the additional driver is on travel status with the Institute.
- Navigation Systems - Reimbursable if required for remote locations and a business justification is provided.
- Tolls - Actual toll expenses may be reimbursed. A receipt should be provided when possible; if not, a written explanation should be entered into the description field in the Workday - Expense System.
- Parking - Actual parking fees may be reimbursed. A receipt should be provided when possible; if not, a written explanation should be entered into the description field in the Workday - Expense System.
- Child seats and other personal expenses are not reimbursable.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): provides coverage in the event the vehicle is involved in collision.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): provides coverage in the event of theft or loss of use (e.g. any damage that prevents future rental of the vehicle until repaired).
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): provides coverage for the renter and passengers for medical bills resulting from a crash. Please note if employees are performing official duties and involved in a vehicle incident, injuries will be subject to Workers Compensation Coverage.
Personal Effects Policy/ Insurance (PEP/PEI): provides coverage for the theft of personal items inside of a rental car. Please note most homeowners or apartment renters insurance will provide coverage, subject to the applicable policy deductible.
Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI/LIS): designed to provide additional liability coverage above the minimal amount provided by rental car liability coverage. GT employees are covered for liability while performing official duties by the State Tort Claims Policy.
|December 2021||Insurance and Claims Management||Language and contact information update.|
|March 2015||Insurance and Claims Management||Minor language and contact information update.|