To ensure consistency between policies and to increase clarity, new Institute policies are drafted using a standard Policy Template.
The Policy Template includes space for the following information:
- Reason for Policy → Why the policy exists
- Policy Statement → The policy’s intent, when the policy applies, and any mandated actions or constraints
- Scope → Who is affected by the policy
- Definitions → Terms specific to the policy
- Procedures → Processes to be used for compliance with the policy
- Forms → Forms associated with procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions → Common questions about policy and procedures
- Responsibilities → Who is responsible for implementing policy and procedures
- Enforcement → Potential repercussions for violating the policy
- Related Information → Related policies, websites, and documents that provide supplemental information to the policy
- Policy History → Brief description of any revisions to the policy
The Policy Template can be found here.
When reviewing a policy draft it is helpful for the Policy Steering Committee to have a Policy Development and Communication Tracking Sheet that details:
- The reason for the policy
- Key aspects of the policy
- Stakeholders who reviewed the policy
- Resources needed for the policy
The Policy Development and Communication Tracking Sheet can be found here.