The performance of each Dean of an Academic Unit will be reviewed annually by the Provost. In addition, a comprehensive formal review must be completed around the end of every fifth year of appointment. The purpose of such comprehensive reviews is to evaluate the progress of the units under the Dean’s leadership, to provide the opportunity for constructive input from Faculty and other constituencies, and to review the professional contributions and performance of the Dean as a leader and an administrator.
Ultimately, the purpose of such comprehensive reviews is to determine whether the Dean should be re-appointed for another term. A second five (5) year appointment has been typical whereas a third five (5) year appointment is unusual. Nevertheless the reappointment decision will be based on the best interests of the Institute, Unit, and individual.
It is recognized that all administrators, including Deans, serve at the will of their immediate supervisors and higher administrators. Nothing in this review process is meant to limit the ability and responsibility of higher administrators to make changes in leadership positions whenever it is deemed necessary or desirable.
Criteria and Procedures
A Review Committee shall be appointed by the Provost as follows:
- The Committee will consist of no fewer than five (5) members.
- The majority of the Committee members shall be chosen from tenured, non-administrative Faculty members in academic units supervised by the Dean.
- The Committee will normally be chaired by a senior Faculty member.
- The Committee Chair is normally from a different College/Unit.
- The Committee Chair is chosen by the Provost in consultation with the Chair of the Faculty Executive Board.
- The Dean has an opportunity to comment on the composition of the Committee.
Criteria Established to be Used in Reviews
The review criteria are to be defined by the Provost and the candidate prior to initial appointment, or the Provost and the Dean prior to reappointment. As part of the Provost’s annual review of the Dean, criteria will be reaffirmed or modified in consultation with the Dean. As part of the Provost’s charge to review committee, the Provost will review the original criteria as well as any changes made.
- Demonstrating evidence of commitment to the highest standards of quality in teaching, scholarship/research, academic development with evidence of College's actual progress on all three.
- Providing effective management of internal affairs of the College.
- Recruiting/retaining the highest quality administrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Managing the College's fiscal affairs.
- Developing/maintaining open communications with all constituencies.
- Facilitating goal setting by individuals, programs, Schools, and by the Unit as a whole.
- Identifying issues and resolving conflicts affecting the Unit.
- Developing internal and external resources.
- Implementing fair and equitable performance evaluations and salary adjustments.
- Establishing a working environment conducive to achieving individual and Unit goals, as well as balancing and reconciling diverse interests within the College.
- Building relationships with constituencies within and outside of Georgia Tech.
The Provost may schedule the review for any time between four (4) and six (6) years after either the initial appointment or the preceding formal review. For Colleges without Schools, the review of the Dean may be timed to coincide with the Board of Regents' five (5) year Program Review. Utmost confidentiality must be maintained during the review process. The Provost will provide the Committee with confidentiality guidelines at their first meeting.
Early in the process, the Dean should be asked to meet with the review Committee to provide a self-assessment. The Committee should seek input from Chairs, Faculty, Staff, Students, and other constituencies. The Committee should identify areas where the Dean should place added emphasis/attention if he/she continues to lead the Unit over the next five (5) years.
Conclusion of the Review
The Committee shall provide the Provost with a confidential, written report of no more than five (5) pages. The report shall include:
- Assessment of the College's progress under the Dean's leadership.
- Evaluation of the Dean's performance as a "leader" and "administrator".
- Recommendation for improvement (if any).
The Dean being reviewed will have opportunity to comment on the report. The Provost will evaluate the report and make a decision regarding reappointment of the Dean. The Provost will then communicate the results of the review both orally and in writing to the Dean. The Provost will inform the Review Committee of the reappointment decision.